Dabbing is the latest cannabis craze, and it’s spreading like Wildfire. The process involves applying measured pressure and heat on concentrated marijuana extracts.
The DIY method was popularized by hashish connoisseurs a few years ago, and the rest has been history. It has taken off quite well.
The steps below will tell you how to make dabs at home.
You may want to see:
- Dry Ice Hash
- How to make a Bong with Your Style
- Marijuana pipes: Top 20 Best Weed Pipes of 2019 – USA Amazon
#1 Using butane
Some care is necessary when using highly flammable butane. As an apprentice, it is safer for you to stay away from the butane when making shatter or dab. It is only for the dab masters unless you want to blow the whole place up.
The solvation method using butane is a bit complicated, but it involves passing the liquid through raw cannabis. The butane dissolves the main organic compounds such as THC and CBD. When the butane evaporates, it leaves behind a concentrate, rich in phytocannabinoids.
#2 Using alcohol
Using alcohol to dab is much simpler and safer compared to the butane process.
To go about it
- Prepare small round nugs and put them inside the glass. Pour some alcohol, which can be isopropyl or ethanol, into the glass and cover the nugs sufficiently. Let it sit for not more than 10 minutes, and stir periodically within this time.
- You will need a source of heat to evaporate the alcohol to obtain a high-quality concentrate for dabbing. But be careful with how much heat you use for this process. It should be low for the best results. It may take a few hours, but it will not destroy the most critical cannabis components.
- If done correctly, you should get a sticky mass with minimal alcohol. If, in any case, it gets hard, you can transfer the mass to another container and obtain as much wax as possible.
- Filter the concentrate in another clean glass and evaporate the rest of the concentrate using warm water.
#3 Rosin Method
The rosin method produces a better-tasting dab than from alcohol or butane. It is solventless and, therefore the safest method that anybody searching for how to make dabs at home can learn.
You will need a hair straightener, parchment paper, a dabber or a collection tool, and marijuana.
- Control the temperature of the hair straightener to about 250 to 300°F. If your device does not have a thermostat, set it at medium to low temperatures. Leave it to heat.
- Place some cannabis into the parchment paper, and make sure it does not exceed the width of the hair straightener. There should be enough paper on either side to collect the dab.
- Fold the paper in two to cover the weed with parchment, and place the straightener over it. You should squeeze down for about 5 seconds. You should hear a sizzle. Put the paper down gently, and it’ll be ready to collect.
- The squashed weed will be side by side with the rosin when you open the parchment. Do it gently. Collect the rosin using a dabber and dispense it into a separate container.
- You can squash a little more out of the weed by repeating the above steps.
Now that you know how to make dabs, the next process should be on how to smoke dabs. How do you go about smoking dabs?
You can use an oil rig. The glass pipe has a vertical chamber, small titanium or glass nail, and a mouthpiece. Fill this oil rig with water, and heat the nail until it is red hot before applying your chosen concentrate.
The concentrate is converted to smoke that you inhale. You can as well vape it or use it in a joint.
Read more: How to Make Distillate at Home.